When editing a tenancy, Solo/Origin allows the definition of fee schedules. These schedules allow tenant fees to be applied automatically on each rent day of the tenancy.
To add a new fee schedule the following fields must be defined:
- Fee / Expense - Fees and expenses differ in that fees are revenue generating, e.g. management fees, whereas expenses are costs that are to be passed on to the tenant, e.g. utility bills.
- Description - a description of the recurring tenant fee to be applied.
- Value - The fee value to be applied on each rent day.
Existing fee schedules can be viewed by editing a tenancy instance, and deleted by clicking on the 'X' icon to the right of the listing.
On the tenancy rent day a fee will be applied to the associated tenant and can be viewed, edited or deleted via the Fees tab within the tenant view.
Note that fees associated a fee schedule will only be applied whilst the schedule is in existence and will not be applied retrospectively to previous rent days associated with the tenancy.
Recharging the tenant and paying to the landlord
A landlord may wish to pass on expense charges to the tenant, to be treated separately from rental income. For example, the landlord may be paying utility bills and requires the tenant to make contributions toward this, without incurring management fees on those receipts.
You can recharge the tenant by adding either a recurring or one-off manual expense charge.
To add a recurring tenant expense recharge:
- On the property, click the Tenancies tab, and then edit the tenancy in question.
- In the bottom right, in the Fee Schedule section, add a new Expense with the recipient set to Landlord.
- This expense will automatically apply on the rent due date in future, and the receipt will be passed to the landlord without incurring management fees.
- To add such expenses for past dates, see below.
To add a one-off tenant expense recharge:
- On the tenant view, click the Fees tab.
- Add a new fee, and choose the type Expense.
- Set the recipient to Landlord.
- Provide the charge date, value and description and click Add.